Sunday, May 31, 2020

Quilting to keep my fears at bay

I know I'm not alone - in my fear, my anxiety, my heartsickness.  But seeing what is happening in the US this week while social distancing is particularly trying.  How many times have I said, "thank goodness for quilting?"  It helps to calm my mind and my nerves.  And this week, my efforts have been towards creating yet another baby quilt for a little one who is due at the end of August.

I ran across the Giant Pineapple Quilt by the Stash Bandit, and decided to go with another pineapple quilt (remember the ones I made a little over a year ago?).  I started with 7" squares, so my finished block size will be 5.5", so I guess that will make a quilt that is approximately 33" x 44".

For those who read last week, my sister-in-law is out of the ICU, but still hospitalized.  Progress.

And I braved my fear of crowds and COVID19 today to take my boys to a Black Lives Matter vigil (masked up and keeping 6 ft distance from others as much as possible).
These are my sons, ages 17 and 14
What breaks my heart is that this isn't the first vigil my boys have attended.  Protesting murders has been a mainstay in their lives since we first took them to Washington DC in July 2013 to protest the murder of Trayvon Martin.  What kind of world is this that my kids have been protesting the murder of black people by the police and white citizens who take it upon themselves to "police" us for fully half of their lives?

I'm linking up with Oh Scrap and Monday Making.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I feel your pain and you are absolutely right. What kind of America have we become when people treat each other the way they do. One answer I have is to vote. I am hoping with enough people being upset we can change America by voting in people who are willing to make the changes for the better. I will refrain from going totally political but I'm tired of reading about stupid tweets.

Vivian said...

And be sure to teach your sons that voting takes place not only at the voting booth but also at the cash register. Whenever excuses for the injustices in this country are given, it is often with some justification regarding cost or profit. This country is a democracy but it is also a capitalist system and too often money/wealth drives conversation and policy more than compassion for the greater good. If we also "vote" based on where and when we open our wallets, you'd be surprised how much power and influence we would easily wield. Everyone remembers what Rosa Parks instigated but forgets that what brought the end to the public transportation segregation in Montgomery was the city-wide bus boycott by the black residents that forced the company to change its policy when it was almost forced into bankruptcy. Money talks and...you know the rest!

Anonymous said...

How is your sister in law?