Saturday, May 12, 2018

Every little bit

The end of the school year is like riding a panicky, runaway horse with no reins or saddle; all you can do is entwine your hands into the mane, hold on tightly, and try to enjoy the ride.

In the meantime, I've been trying to make sure to carve out moments of quiet sanity for myself, time to sew.  It hasn't been much, but as we all know, every little bit adds up to a lot eventually.

My temperature quilt is moving along well - I enjoy having just one block to make each day.  On Ringo Lake is sitting silently, willing me to notice it again.  The trouble is, despite the fact that the fabrics are scrappy, they are all in the same four color families, and for me, that makes it just a bit too predictable to compel me to work on it.  One day...

The Flutterby blocks are the ones that excite me the most.  I have 67 of the 140 blocks that I plan to make done, with about 11 more partially done.  As you can see, I've been making the borders as I go.  I really want this quilt to end up on my bed!

I miss my design wall!  The floor just isn't the same.
The Sister's Choice quilt's final size will be determined by the amount of blue and neutral fabric I have for the the alternate blocks.  I've started to make border blocks for that, too, so I can figure out how many more blocks I need to make.
A couple of rows are sewn together, as are the outside borders.  I'm hoping I'll have enough to make this lap sized, but it might end up being a baby quilt.
Both of these quilts have enjoyed an infusion of new scrappy fabric after I received a box of scraps from a a friend back in Virginia.
Is there anything better than someone else's scraps?
So far, I've only made it through one baggie of scraps from the box, but what fun to discover them all while cutting them down into my precut scrap sizes.

Hmm, I need better light in my sewing room!
And when I'm not home, I've been diligent about bringing some handwork along, making more hexie blooms during meetings and sewing them on while attending campus sporting events.
Enjoying softball in the sunshine while putting in a few stitches.
In one month, I'll be on summer vacation.  I am so excited about all I should be able to do over the summer - sewing to my heart's content!

5 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I’m glad you are finding time for sanity sewing. I’m trying to fit some in too. Amazing how a little bit of sewing here and there adds up over time.

Lynn said...

Oh Wow, came to your blog through 'Quilting is more fun than Housework'. Love your flutterby quilt as its growing - do you have a pattern, especially for those points? And your phrasing about figuring out how many more blocks just sounds like me, working it out as I go along. Lovely work!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

the flutterbys are cute!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That flutterby 'sings'! Yes, when dealing with school or school age kids, May is a tough month. June will be here soon.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love how your 'flutterby' quilt is looking, very pretty!