Friday, February 16, 2018

I blame Pinterest!

I set big goals for myself two weeks ago when I had a long weekend.  And I did a pretty darned good job of keeping them...

I finished my hat and have been wearing it non-stop.  It is made from Mega Merino, a soft, warm and squishy yarn that I used to sell in my shop.


I removed the offending neck from my sweater, knit on a new neck CORRECTLY, and am about halfway done with one sleeve.  The only problem is, I can't remember where I put the remaining skeins of yarn to finish the sweater.  Doh!
Sweater is based on an old cotton rolled edge sweater that I love to throw on for weekend lounging.
I finished reading Raven Threads, but am only now starting Unraveled.  It's very unlike me, but I didn't read anything for a week and a half.

I'm up to date on my Temperature Quilt, and I'm liking it.  It's going to be an odd quilt, for sure, but it'll be colorful, and sometimes that's all I need to make me happy.
I hate not having a design wall! This is most of the first two columns, but I can't put them together until February is over so I can add in the February average temperatures in the right place.  The yellows are the freakishly warm days we've had.  The darker the blue, the colder it was!
I didn't quite make my goal of 20 On Ringo Lake blocks completed, but I've got 18 and am slowly assembling the rest. 

The problem is this: I opened one of those darned emails from Pinterest with some Pins they think I'd like and they were right.  I saw this pin:
Image Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457819118351516579/

and had to start making one right away!  Scrappy...check!  Will use up some of my overflowing pre-cut scraps...check!  Will challenge me...since I am new to Half Rectangle Triangle Blocks, check!  I haven't gotten far, but I am having fun seeing these blocks come together. 

I'm using this as a Leaders & Enders project for my On Ringo Lake quilt...or is it the other way around?  Either way, I'm at my machine every chance I get, which, unfortunately, isn't as much as I'd like.

That's OK, I have a two-week break coming up in March.  I'm going to name my goals for that now - finish piecing On Ringo Lake and baste/start hand quilting my new niece/nephew's quilt before his/her arrival at the beginning of April.

In the meantime, I have a busy weekend ahead of me - running the clock at three different basketball games for three different teams, watching my husband's team compete in the conference quarterfinals (send winning thoughts our way on Saturday afternoon), and driving a vanload of kids to the movies to see Black Panther (we, as a school, rented out a theater and buses to take our students).  I hope I can find some time to sew and knit this weekend, too!

Oh, and I spent an entire day last weekend watching Alias Grace on Netflix.  It was darker and had less resolution and clarity at the end than I typically like, but oh the quilts!  Beautiful!!!

6 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice Hat! I really need to learn how to knit! I like your new leaders/Enders too. The stars appear magically with that block. On Ringo Lake is lovely! Hope you have a fun weekend

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You do keep busy. Knitting lovely things and also the pretty piecing. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's Ringo Lake coming together. I saw Black Panther with 13 year old grandson-we both loved it. A feast for the eyes. I must look for Alias Grace. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Busy! Busy! Busy! I'd love to pin that scrappy quilt, but, my laptop is so ancient, that Pinterest doesn't have anything supporting it. Oh well, Pinterest is the 'rabbit hole' that I tend to go down a bit too often. I really need to finish up some of my UFO's first.

Nancy said...

I am in awe of the quilt you saw on Pinterest. Is that what you are calling "Flutterby"? I have looked up "Flutterby" and get nothing like that at all. I really would love to know the name, if you have it.

Two years ago I dis what you are going with your fabrics. I listed about 200 fabrics, baby quilt panels, etc in my Etsy shop and sold about 75%. Then Etsy changed their ruled and wanted to collect our payments for us so that something called Apple Wallet could be used. I closed my shop because I think it should be up to the seller to determine what methods of payment he or she wishes to accept. I still have some yardage left but most is strips for Log Cabins or squares of other sizes. Right now I am getting into an international signature square swap using the Dear Jane D13 pattern but cannot decide what I want in my center square. Hand-embroidering over 100 center squares makes my hands hurt just thinking of it. I am looking into getting a rubber stamp made with some design particular to my state. I also hope to find, or start, an exchange of the Betsey Wright Lee blocks from the book "Remember Me". I re-read that book over the weekend and was so moved by what those women endured living in the wilderness, leaving family and friends, etc.

Good luck on paring down your supply. I saw an interesting floral in that pin so will check your shop when I get my check.

Carla said...

I love the On the Ringo Lake quilt. I get those darn pinterest emails too and yep I always find things I like. Lots of things. I wish I could complete as many as I pin. LOL
You are good at completing your goals. Nice job

Janine said...

have you made a pattern for flutterby? it is just lovely! Can you link me to the pattern if it is for sale?