Saturday, July 9, 2016

Vacation sewing

Today was my first day home (and back at work) after a 2 week driving trip north to PA, MA, NH & ME to visit family and friends.  Two friends VOLUNTEERED to cover the shop for me while I was gone - I am truly blessed with the community we've created at The Stitchin' Post.

About half of this trip was spent camping in a tent.  That didn't stop me from sewing!  That is what the electrical hookups at campgrounds are for, right?

I finished up this quilt top which is both a baby quilt for a friend who is having a baby in November and my entry for this year's quilt show.  Just two weeks to get it hand quilted - better get cracking!  It measures about 43" square(ish).  It made a dent in my scrap bin, used up all but a couple small squares of that white, and used up most of that striped border (which was leftover from backing my last quilt).

My mom surprised me with a "new" sewing machine while I was visiting.  This gem (that she picked up at a yard sale for $20) sews like a charm, and comes complete with sewing stool with all the acoutrements under the padded seat.  I didn't have room to bring it home with me since my car was packed with camping stuff plus my sewing machine, but I'll bring it down in January when I go back to New Hampshire to bring my mom south for the winter.  I should have Mom tell me the serial number so I can see when this baby was born.

She asked for a clothespin bag while I was there, so I sewed this up on my "new" machine.  Simple and quick.


Of course, this trip included lots more than just sewing - campfires, swimming, games with the family, and, of course, FOOD!





There's a lot of crappy stuff happening in the world today, but still and all, LIFE IS GOOD!

4 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt finish..looks like you had a wonderful time...
hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love the baby quilt and your outdoor sewing room! Looks like you had a wonderful time with your family and friends while you were away. I continue to pray for peace in our world. Take care. Gail

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a cute Singer 15 your mother gave you. Do you have a pattern for the baby quilt? My niece just announced that she is due in December. I have another baby quilt to make, and I'm getting tired of churn dash baby quilts.

Julie Fukuda said...

Leave it to Cheryl to note the machine. Good friends are the icing on the cake and that you could grab such memorable family time is such a blessing ... and my, but those kids are growing fast!