Friday, October 28, 2011

The EASIEST thing I have ever made!

Not too much sewing going on. I think all the travel and karate build up and painting my basement burned me out, and all I've felt like doing lately is curling up with a book. My regular readers know that cozy mysteries are my books of choice. I finished the second Leann Sweeney, Cats in Trouble book, The Cat, The Professor and The Poison. Enjoyed it!


I have another Arlene Sachitano to read, but they really aren't my favorite, even with quilts involved, so I'm sitting on that one for a while. Instead, I picked up Farm Fresh Murder by Paige Shelton, the first of the Farmer's Market Mysteries. Enjoyed it!


Now I'm reading one of Maggie Sefton's Knitting Mysteries, Dyer Consequences. There's a certain formula that works for me:


  • female protagonist

  • making it on her own with a home business or crafting business

  • character development! I don't just want to know what they do, I want to know why and how they feel about it and what scares them and what their sense of humor is like! (I think that's why I don't like Arlene Sachitano's books - there isn't much character development)
Anyway, I forced myself down into my sewing room and started working on some Christmas presents. One is for my sister who periodically reads this, so I can't share a photo, but I also worked on some stocking stuffers. I was thinking of making snap shut change purses, and I probably still will, but I also found a tutorial for a travel tissue case. I started with one for myself, since I hate when the plastic wrap crinkles up in my purse and then the tissues appear dirty.


Oh my goodness! If this wasn't THE EASIEST THING I have EVER made! Even with the boxed corners, which, I think, makes it look much more finished (and cute!). It took so little time that I made two more while timing myself. 18 minutes from start to finish to make a pair! No way!

So I made 5 more - IN 35 MINUTES!!!

Folks, if you are looking for a quick stocking stuffer that uses up scraps and takes practically no time to make, look no further! I followed the tutorial found here. Tonight, I'm going to change my thread and make some light colored ones (I had black thread in the machine, so these were all with dark fabrics). I'm addicted! I'm almost hoping people get the sniffles so I can offer them some tissues!

Are you dressing up for Halloween? I'm going to be a nun. Not sure I can pull that off, because I sure as heck am not a saint, but I'm gonna try! And I need to hang up Jason's Halloween Quilt. Remember this, his first quilt from two years ago?

I added it to the Quilting Gallery Weekly Theme Quilt Contest. Take a peek, and if you vote for him and he wins, I promise that HE will get the fabric winnings! He is already letting me know that he needs to build his stash! Love it!

9 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for including the link for the cute little tissue covers. I needed an idea for some stocking stuffers, and this is it! I really like how fast they are to make.
Linda in Southern Illinois

Shay said...

I'm playing catch up after my holiday so congratulations on getting your black belt. (This means I have to be extra nice to you in future)

LOVE those tissue travel covers and I will definitely be making some this weekend!

Totally think you can pull the nun thing off.

quiltzyx said...

I going to write down those books on my list. :D

Those tissues holders are great! Thanks for the link. I've made them before, but they were nowhere near that cute & easy.

Stephanie Hughes said...

Love the tissue holders, your son is getting big!

Janet said...

Jason looks so pleased with his quilt - very cute!

Wilma Lee said...

I love the tissue holders. I make stuff to sell in a gift shop, and those sell more than anything!!! Never did the boxed corners though, I like that better.

joe tulips said...

I saw Jason's quilt yesterday! Voted on the spot for it! Love those kleenex holders! My nose is feeling a little stuffy.
I am wondering...are you getting the snow???

Nancy said...

Those tissue holders are just TOO cute - I'll definitely add that to my list of things to make! Love Jason's wall hanging pumpkin - and that he needs to build his stash! What is he looking for - any particular colors, etc. Sorry I didn't read this in time to vote 8(

Nancy said...

Just looked at the tutorial. It is from Melinda who works at Tiny Stitches in Marietta. I have met her there, and follow her blog - when I am following blogs!