Friday, December 10, 2010

I did it!!!

I'm not sure what made me think I could create an article of clothing from scratch.

Sure, I can alter an existing piece of clothing:

(Dahlia sweatshirt for me)

(gnarled tree sweatshirt for father-in-law)


I can repurpose clothing:

(drawstring t-shirt backpack for Donald)

(memorial t-shirt quilt from my dad's shirts)

But to MAKE clothing from scratch!?! I wouldn't know where to begin! Then I saw this adorable skirt tutorial at Moda Bake Shop and the seed was planted. Perhaps I could make something for my niece...

It wasn't easy, but I DID IT!

Why I chose to make something with a drop waist and pleats and lots of topstitching is beyond me...


But I love it! I hope she loves it too! Tomorrow I hope to find an inexpensive long sleeved t-shirt to go with it that I can applique some coordinating fabric onto (a flower, perhaps, or maybe just some circles/dots), along with some tights (she lives in Massachusetts - brrr!). But even if it is only this skirt that gets wrapped up and put under the tree, I'm thrilled. I'm not sure I'll ever try to make another, but now I can at least say I've done it. (Thanks, Sam, for your clothes-making inspiration!)
Quilt guild meeting tomorrow. And then, after that, only 2 more months until Bonnie Hunter is coming to town. Woo hoo! Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job on all your re-do's, new do's and your quilt. I love em all. I am so with you on the sewing part, it's a lot easier to make a quilt than clothes. Quilts fit everyone, kinda like, one size fits all, but, with sewing, they are supposed to fit when you are finished. Mine never does, and, they never look like the pattern. I think I will stick with my quilting.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It's been years since I have made any type of clothing and I can tell that you certainly didn't pick the easiest item to start with. You did an amazing job!! I'm sure your neice will love it.

Sam said...

That's fantastic Erin! What an amazing job you've done! I love the combination of fabrics... and the cute tummy model! Hehe! She will looooove it!!! Sam xoxox

Becky said...

That is just adorable! I hope you can get a picture of her in it so we can see!!

Em said...

How fun, Erin!!! The sweatshirts remind me of my younger years when I would cross-stitch designs on sweatshirts, yours are much more fun and tasteful!! Nice job, Curt and Erin!!!

Shay said...

Way To Go Erin. I'd never tackle a skirt. You rock.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I used to make many of my own clothes and clothes for my daughter too. Not so much anymore--just pj's for my nieces and daughter now. Your niece's skirt is very pretty. She will love it!

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Erin, love all of them, especially your shirt and the little skirt is adorable.

Kim said...

Now which one of your boys was the model :0)?

Happy Sewing

Wilma Lee said...

They are all very cute!!! What method did you use for your dahlia shirt?

Lane said...

I got caught up and made a pair of boxers a couple of weeks ago. Then, I got really inspired and bought a pattern for a pair of lounging pajama pants. And, then a pattern for a pair of jeans! Then, I put all those patterns in a box and went back to quilting.

Have fun. Lane