Thursday, February 11, 2010

Don't you love the fair?

I enter a quilt in the County Fair every year, not with any illusions of winning anything, (although I did get Honorable Mention one year with this mini quilt that is now hanging in my office on a WalMart necklace)

but to get feedback from someone other than my friends, who are wonderfully supportive and probably wouldn't be as frank about the things I need to work on as they could be. I also love going to quilt shows with lots of quilts, and I can't really expect others to put their quilts in if I'm not brave enough to put mine in. Anyway, Ithink I know which quilt I'll be entering in the County Fair this year:

I just love it! I finished putting on the binding last night. I used to hate binding, but I think that was before I realized that I could sew binding and watch movies at the same time. It took four episodes of "Rosemary & Thyme", but it wasn't nearly the onerous activity I always assume it will be.


And speaking of fairs, I learned yesterday that Earlene Fowler has a new Benni Harper book due out in May, State Fair.


You can bet I'll be buying it - I have the rest of the series. I've been waiting very patiently, I think. It is too bad that it takes her a year to write these books, because it only takes me a day or two to read them!

10 comments:

Becky said...

Spectacular quilt, Erin! Can't wait to see how it does at the fair!

Char said...

Beautiful quilt Erin, so much color. Hand sewing the binding is my favorite thing to do. I've never entered a quilt in the fair. Best of luck!
Can you tell me the title of Earlene Fowler's first book? I'd like to try and read them in order.

Cheryl Willis said...

I think your quilts are all winners but to be frank, your fabrics don't match (so totaly just kidding- I love your scrappy)

good luck-- cheryl

Joyful Quilter said...

How could a judge not love those bright cheerful colors! It turned out beautiful.

Shirley said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I always like handsewing the binding cause I watch (or listen) to TV while I do it and get to cuddle under the quilt whether it's for me or someone else. And I love Earlene Fowler. I didn't know she had a new book. I've read all of hers too.

Becky said...

LOVE, love, love those bright colors. Awesome quilt. I'd give it best of show, but I guess I'm a little biased because of the BRIGHT colors. Good luck with the fair.

Nancy said...

LOVE your Bright Idea quilt - it will certainly brighten up a spot at the Fair!

Sam said...

Oh Erin, I would give you first place for sure for this quilt! I love it! I cant tell in the picture but what size is it? I love the colour combo!

Sam xoxoxoxoxox

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your colourful quilt! It will be sure to catch everyone's attention at the fair! I would give it first prize!

Annette said...

Your quilt is a winner for sure...so cheerful. I love the prairie points. Great work!