Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Luck...or intuition?

Since I am on the road in West Virginia doing school visits, I am done each day by about 3:00 PM. I didn't get my act together and bring some quilting with me, so I thought I'd investigate the possibility of finding a quilt shop to visit and get my "fix". I looked online and found a couple shops close to me. The first two I went to, however, no longer exist! I was pretty bummed! But then, on my way back to my hotel, I thought, let me try just one more. Not only did I find it, but there is a SHOP HOP going on!!!

Jackpot!

I got a list of 15 shops, and made it to 4 before they closed. I'm going to try to hit 2 or 3 more tomorrow afternoon. And even though I am on a "no-buy", I couldn't really visit these peoples' shops, take their free patterns, enter for their door prizes and not buy anything, right? I didn't bring my camera on this trip so I can't share photos, but I bought 4 neutral remnants for my scrap quilts and 2 flannel remnants for my buzzsaw quilt that I'm trying to get off the UFO list. At another shop, I bought some fabric gripper circles to put on my rulers to make them no-slip. At another shop I bought a pattern - perhaps the first pattern I've ever bought, but it is BUTTERFLIES, and I think I've already shared my affinity for butterflies. It is this crayon quilt from Black Cat Creations. I've been wanting to do a crayon quilt. I doubt I will actually follow this pattern, but I am excited to have all these different butterfly patterns to copy and use.

Then, at the last shop, I just ate their yummy free cookies!

So, not only did I enjoy my shop hopping, but when I arrived home after my last trip and before this one, there was a package waiting for me. It was a book that I ordered back in May, not realizing that it wasn't going to be released until late September. While it was disappointing back in May, it was a pleasant surprise to have a book to take on this trip. So, during my meals and any other stolen moments today, I've been reading the latest Clare O'Donohue book, "A Drunkard's Path". In reading it, I realize that I never read the first book in the series. I'm enjoying this one, so I guess I'll have to go buy the first one, too.

I hope some of you are able to get some actual quilting done. I'm going to climb into bed with my book.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

I've never heard of anyone "stumbling" into a Shop Hop before *LOL* I love looking around shops. That book looks really good too. I have about 100 more different books sitting here needing to be read but I hope I can get to that one one of these days. I like Clare O'Donohue

Kim said...

Nice find!
You are being so good too!
I just started yet another project this week....oh dear!
Love those butterflies I'll be looking to see how they inspire your quilting :0)

Happy Sewing

Nancy said...

I haven't seen those books yet - good to know of another quilting fiction group! Sounds like you made some reasonable purchases after stumbling into the Shop Hop! How much driving did you have to do to get to all these shops? Hope to see you tomorrow.