Monday, August 24, 2009

I'm still alive

Thank you, Kim, for wondering what happened to me. Vacation, 20th high school reunion, and preparing the kids for a new school year happened to me. But I'm back. With photos!

Shortly after my last post, I went to Maine for 4 days, partly for my 20th high school reunion, and partly as a trip down memory lane. I haven't been back for 10 years, and I haven't lived there in 20. I visited old friends, drove by old houses I used to live in, and generally just soaked in nostalgia. It was great fun! We rented a house near a lake with my sister and her family and my best girlfriend from high school and her daughter. Here's a goofy photo of most of us after an afternoon of boating and swimming. (Did you know that I'm an identical twin?)

The house we rented belongs to another friend of mine from high school. There were some quilting gems in there, and can you believe, I forgot to photograph them!?! One was an ancient, well-worn but super-soft Grandmother's Flower Garden. Another was a scrap quilt. I did remember to photograph this crazy quilted piece, probably once a pillow cover.

After the long weekend in Maine, I worked half days last week while my oldest started 2nd grade and my youngest had the week off (teacher training week) before starting Pre-K today. He was so excited, he RAN into the school this morning. I look forward to next year, though, when they can ride the bus together to the same school. Not once in 4 years have I been able to drop them off or pick them up at the same place. It's hard!

During those half days, I got quite a bit done around the house, and also worked some more on the (puffy!) flannel juvenile quilt I am working on while watching the end of Season 5 of The Gilmore Girls (I love that show! I want to live in Stars Hollow. In the Gilmore house. And date Dean! And eat at Luke's. And go to town meetings at Ms. Patti's.). I was hoping to donate this quilt to Green Fairy Quilts when they go to the orphanage in Romania, but I don't think I'll have it done in time.

I finally did realize, however, that with such a high batt, I need a larger needle. Once I changed needles, it started going much more quickly.

Then, this weekend, my husband took the kid
s up to Pennsylvania for a quick trip to see how his mom is doing (chemo has begun - she is doing as well as can be expected). While they were gone, I got SO MUCH done around the house. I am not the world's greatest housekeeper, but it stresses me out when the house is dirty and cluttered. Clutter I deal with right away, but the dirt sometimes lingers. And lingers. And lingers. Not now! It is so much more relaxing to relax in a house that is clean. Yesterday I ate all three of my meals out on the porch with a book - aaahhhh! I also managed to sew two more Pick and Choose blocks together (yes, I have been working on this forever but I am only 3 blocks away from being done - well, and some sashing strips - oh, and some border blocks - you get the idea, I'm making progress).

Finally, I took advantage of being alone yesterday to wander around one of the Antique Malls in town. It kinda bugs me that not everything there is antique. It is more an indoor flea market/antique mall. Whatever. I've been wanting a proper tea cup to drink my tea in after serving it from my teapot (remember this auction find from this spring?).

I found this cup that was just $4, right in my price range. It reads "March" on the inside, but I see no reason why I can't use it year-round, can you?


kwiltmakr said...

Sounds like you had a good time on vacation and I am glad to see your back.

Becky said...

Love all the pictures! Glad you are back and have your ducks in a row. Happy quilting!

Cheryl Willis said...

I giggle at your Pick And Choose, mine has been sitting for awhile and I got it out yesterday and put it back with out sewing on it (my bad) Keep telling myself just to finished the blocks and consider the setting strips later, but my brain doesn't want to play that way. Evidently b/c I don't know how I want to finish it, I can't even move forward on the blocks. That is probably why I have so many UFO's . Have a safe school year. Ours all started back last week. cw

Riet said...

Good you are back. In a few days everything is back to normail again.

Nancy said...

Great to see you back, virtually and in person too! Sounds like you had a great time in Maine. Enjoyed hearing about your remodeling - the "sew-room" sounds heavenly! Enjoyed the time we spent catching up today - just not long enough! Hope to see you next Monday at your lunch-time!

John said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog! I've had a great time reading through yours ... and I'll be back! By the way, I LOVE to see that your son is quilting. Tell him to "keep it up", and he can swing by my blog too if he thinks there are no other guys quilting out there! : )

Kim said...

Oh that picture of all of you is just great!
Are you pretending to be Arnold? (all pumped up?)
Glad to hear all is well and the new school year is in full swing..........keep us posted on all the new adventures coming your way.
I missed checking in on you :0)

Happy Sewing Erin

Shirleymac said...

Great pictures but I got tired just reading all that you've done in the past while! The highschool reunion and cottage in Maine would have done me in. Glad you had fun. Great pictures.