Monday, June 5, 2023

My September Bee Block - Scrappy Rainbow Twisted Pole Quilt

 Wow, it's been over a year!  It's been a busy time with a move to a new state, starting a new job, etc, but I haven't stopped creating.  One of the things I've really enjoyed is making blocks each month for a bee that I belong to.  Today's post will be the directions for my bee block for September (some people work really far ahead).

I believe the quilt block is called Twisted Pole.  My goal is to make a scrappy rainbow quilt with a background of scrappy white fabrics with black print pattern and with "pole" fabric that is scrappy black fabrics with white print pattern.

In the Bee, we make two 12" blocks to share, but for this quilt, the blocks are actually 9x15", and I'm asking that Bee members only assemble one block and send the 15 HSTs that make up the second block to me unassembled so that I can mix and match their HSTs with everyone else's so that no two blocks look the same.

Bee friends, first, choose a color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, or purple) and cut 15 4" squares from 15 different fabrics of that color family.  Cut 10 4" squares from 10 different fabrics that are white with a black print and 5 4" squares from 5 different fabrics that are black with white print.  If there is a little bit of other colors in the white/black fabrics, that is OK, but the primary colors should be white and black and they should read as either white or black.  Please make all fabrics prints or tone-on-tones - no solids, please.

Pair a colored square with either a white or black square a draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the white/black squares and sew 1/4" from each side of the diagonal lines.  Cut on the diagonal lines, press towards the colored side of the HST, and trim to 3.5".  

Set aside one set of the HSTs, and assemble the other HSTs as shown in the photo of the finished block, pressing the seams IN on the bottom row, OUT on the next row up, IN on the center row, OUT on the next row up, and IN on the top row.

That's it! I'm excited to see this come together with everyone's scrappy goodness!

1 comment:

Riddle said...

Your blog has become a virtual mentor in my pursuit of knowledge.