Monday, January 17, 2022

Facing and Fangirling

 I didn't really want to bind my Cross Patch quilt because I love the pattern going all the way to the edge of the quilt.  Time to give "facing" a try!  I used this tutorial, and it was quite simple.  Now to see how it holds up with use, since this is a 57" lap quilt, not an art quilt that will hang on the wall...

Done!!

Look ma!  No binding!

I love how there is no frame with facing.

Neat and crisp on the back

In other news, yesterday was the opening reception for Chawne Kimber's Freedom in Cotton solo quilt exhibit here at Deerfield Academy.  I've been crushing on Chawne's work for years now, and seeing her quilts in person did not disappoint.  I'm so glad they are here until late February so I can visit them often!  Here are some of my favorites that are in the exhibit:

Me, too, Chawne.  Me, too.

The Selfie Quilt - see next photo

So clever!  And all those tiny pieces...amazing!

The One for Eric G <3

Oh, how I can relate to this quilt.  And those pops of color - wow!


4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful job on that quilt facing!! Thanks for sharing your favorite quilt's from the display. Will teachers be bringing students in for on campus "field trips"?

Julie Fukuda said...

The facing looks like a lot of work, but with terrific results.

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt. There is no link for the "facing" tutorial. Would you mind sharing it with me? It makes a great ending on your quilt.

Susan Rizzi
sarizz104@optonline.net

Nann said...

The scrappy quilt will be such a nice get-well gift. Thanks for the tip about a faced finish. Chawne Kimber's work is magnificent. How terrific that you can see an entire exhibit.