Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Another new project

I haven't blogged because I feel like I haven't had anything positive to say.  My uncle died from complications of COVID19.  Someone tested positive in my twin sister's house today.  Helpless and hopeless - those are the two prevailing feelings I've been experiencing.

If I dig deeper, there is good, of course.  Spending all this time with my husband and boys has been wonderful.  I have a job that I can do from home, so my mind stays busy and my bank account isn't empty.  I have a lifetime supply of fabric and yarn here at home, so I can create.

I adopted some tan/beige scraps from Cynthia's Quilty Adoption event this spring.  I've been using them to make these blocks - I don't know what they are called, do you?

My inspiration was from a 2012 post I stumbled across: https://quiltingtwin.blogspot.com/2012/02/im-happily-working-on-my-scrap-projects.html. (OMG, I just clicked on her profile to learn more about her - she's also an identical twin and her name is Keryn, which probably rhymes with my name, Erin, don't ya think?  Cool!)

Anyway, sewing, in particular, has been a balm to my soul.  Since my home office is also my sewing room, it has been neat to fit in 10 minutes here and there throughout the day since I'm always at home.  It means that I can sew every single day - a dream come true.  So this project is growing quickly.
I like the antique feel the tan & beige fabrics give it.
And I'm also participating in Bonnie Hunter's Sew-in-place Unity Quilt Along, although I'm a week behind.  I love mystery quilts, and I love making scrappy quilts, but I always get bogged down with Bonnie's mysteries because I get tired of using the same colors over and over, even if it is scrappy within each color way.  Here is my version through Step Two (minus the final 1.5" border).

And, of course, I've made masks and knitted ear savers.  Here's the latest batch, currently on its way to my brother and his family in Virginia.

Back to sewing I go.  Be well, everyone!

I'm linking up with Oh Scrap and Monday Making.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin, I am so sorry to hear about your uncle and the news that your twin's household is facing a scary time. The world is certainly on it's head!!
I love your scrappy colorful quilts! I haven't managed to be a random scrappy quilter - one of my friends has even said I'm quite anal with my color placements...lol. That just means I have room to grow! :) Take care - Elizabeth

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope the person in your sister's household remains asymtomatic! And, of course, no one else contracts the disease. Rick and I were discussing this morning how we might function when restrictions are lifted....because the nasty thing is still out there. We have to develop new normals that do not resemble anything that I want to do!!!

Keep crafting and stay safe.
Love ya!
Becky
PS the new quilt is absolutely gorgeous!! I love it.

PaintedThread said...

I am so sorry that COVID19 is hitting you so close to home. Be healthy. Your blocks really caught my attention - it's a neat design and I like the colors. Yay for mask! I need to start another batch soon.

Nann said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Erin. Your scrappy orphan blocks look great! And your brother and family will appreciate the masks.

Julie Fukuda said...

Just this week I lost one of my best friends to the virus. She was also my eldest daughter's Mother-in-law. It really is scary. I am also a twin ... those that have been deemed "rare" caller semi-identical or sesquizygotic twins. (though it seems they have only just discovered that kind, in my day we were called "true twins".
I really like those new blocks. I am taking notes for future use.

homeschoolmom said...

Oh honey, I'm so sorry about your uncle. Will be praying for your sister's household.

Michelle said...

I did, I lurked; was feeling shy here.

I am so sorry about your uncle & to hear that it's at you sister's house. My niece's husband has it too; I can't believe how hard it is hitting Massachusetts!

The quilt is going to be beautiful, of course, and you are wonderful!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry about your uncle. I hope whomever in your family that tested positive has a mild case. I'm using the quilty adoption blocks I got from you in 2018, for a challenge quilt. I'll post about it soon. I was trying to keep it secret, but, since the 'reveal' guild meeting has been delayed, I'll go ahead and post.

Kate said...

So sorry for your family's loss. Hope your twin's family is doing OK. You've got some fun blocks in the works. Love the colors in your version of Unity. I love Bonnie's mysteries, but I'm just prepared to be behind on them. So much piecing, I may never finish step 2! I envy you that you can fit in a few minutes of stitching time during the work day. I think working from home has been busier then when I was in the office!

Learn online said...

thanks for sharing this wonderful article. We are providing best roadrunner customer care support, roadrunner helpline, Contact roadrunner how to contact roadrunner Support

Giovanni Carlo said...

I think covid19 brings back our old lives doing our hobbies like, gardening, fish keeping, collecting stamps so on so forth
new yorker online shop