Sunday, February 26, 2017

Orphan 9-patches

Well, basketball season is officially over for my family.
My youngest and me at the game, wearing our pom poms on our heads.
My husband's team lost in the semifinals yesterday (by TWO HEARTBREAKING POINTS!!!), so all of a sudden, I have a little more free time.   Time to visit my sewing room that I haven't set foot in for quite some time.  I did a little tidying up, and then unpacked a bag of scraps that someone had recently given me.

Lo and behold!  What's this?

There were nine 9-patch orphan blocks in the bag, too!  I could have thrown them into my orphan block drawer, but chose instead to throw them up on the design wall and play around with them a bit.  Add some snowball blocks and some setting triangles from other fabrics that I found in the bag, and I may have the beginnings of little quilt here.  It's busy, but it reminds me of the old-timey scrap quilts that I love.  Hopefully some big, dark borders will calm it down some.
It isn't sewn together yet.  Gotta let this marinate, not sure I'm committed to this.
As a leader and ender while making the snowball blocks, I sewed together a couple more Charming Plus Blocks.  Still not sure what I'm going to do with these, but I love seeing each one come together.

Play time is over, though.  Work calls; I have many college admissions files to read before March 1.  Meanwhile, I'm linking up with Oh, Scrap and Monday Making.

4 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are sure sewing up those scraps into some great blocks! I know they will all find a home and live in a beautiful quilt someday. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What about putting sashing between all the blocks. It would calm the quilt down, and make it larger, too.

Julie Fukuda said...

Cheerful blocks ... and I like Cheryl's suggestion.

Nancy said...

I think your 9-patch looks great in all its glorious scrappiness. Yes, it has a very old-timey, make-do look about it. Lucky you to get a bag of fabric plus the blocks!