Thursday, September 8, 2016

Arkansas Crossroads Donation Quilt

I try to introduce service projects into the goings on at my shop.  This summer, I invited anyone who came in on a Saturday to piece scrappy 4-patches to go into a quilt we are making for a Silent Auction at a charity event in November to benefit Project Horizon, a local organization dedicated to ending domestic violence in our community.  I had volunteers as young as three years old,

families,

couples,

and unsuspecting solo shoppers that I talked into taking part.

 Some got a little carried away - couldn't make just one block!

Overall, I had more than 50 people make blocks.  They slapped their blocks up on the design wall, and it was fun to see the project grow and grow!


As happens with any group project, I've had to trim all the blocks to the same size, and even re-sew a couple, but the quilt is starting to come together. (rows are not yet sewn together)

We are making the Arkansas Crossroads pattern, using instructions I found online.  What a wonderful scrap project!  And I love being able to put all my precut scraps to use.

7 comments:

Jean said...

Bless you for the good work you are doing. You are planting seeds of helping others less fortunate. Keep up the good work.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a great group project! You do some wonderful community projects!

Julie Fukuda said...

Erin, you are my hero! You have enabled so many in a small way to take ownership in that project. I can picture them coming in and saying, "that's my block". I wonder if I could get my cub scouts to participate in a similar project. (I have a full tin of 2-inch blocks all marked for sewing)

Barb H said...

Wonderful project, Erin, and for such an wonderful cause.

Julie Fukuda, yes you can get your Cub Scouts to sew together the squares if they embrace the cause. I had my Girls Scouts (3rd and 4th graders) make a couple of Linus quilts and they loved doing it, especially writing a note to include with the finished quilts and taking the box to the post office to mail it off. I think the boys could get into it as well. Let us know how it goes.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That is going to make a nice quilt. It's also a good idea that I could use when I have a demo later this month. Thanks.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a great community project and look at all those happy faces, too.

Moneik said...

I'm making my 4th one of these quilts, although it's also called Briar Rose and Goodnight Irene, depending on whose pattern is used. I made a baby quilt with brights and a dark background and now am working on a yellow/pink/black/white one with scraps. There's a great way of sewing both sides of charm squares, then cutting the centers to make the pieces as well that I found to be fun. What a great service learning project! I'm sure your customers are enjoying doing it as well. Good luck and I can't wait to see it finished.