Thursday, May 7, 2015

Definition of a baby quilt

Babies are everywhere around me these days.  Two of my local friends just had babies.  My younger sister just discovered that she is pregnant.  And last week I received a text from another friend that she is having a baby, too!  You know what that means, right?  BABY QUILTS!!!

Part of me wants to use quilts that I've already started rather than start new quilts.  I have so many UFOs that it is embarrassing.  But what makes a quilt a baby quilt?  The size?  The colors?  The pattern?  I pulled out some of my current and not-so-current projects to see what I have to work with. First, there's the blue quilt I started this week.  I've got 30 of the 50 blocks done.  It should be 50" square, or I can make it 40" x 60".  Which size would be more useful?  Which will look better?  We'll have to see.  Would this work as a baby quilt?

I started this scrappy log cabin thinking it would be a baby quilt, but then had second thoughts.  What do you think - would this work as a baby quilt?

I've got many more blocks of this version of Bonnie Hunter's Virginia Bound than I thought.  I could finish a baby top in an evening from these.  But I kinda had my eye on this one for myself...

These bright blocks Summer Breeze would make a nice baby quilt, don't you think?  The only problem is, I only have one completed block and two  nearly completed blocks.  There would be a lot of work for me to get this one finished up, but at least I had the foresight to keep the fabrics together with the blocks so I didn't use them I something else.

I've got a bunch of these I Spy blocks I've been making from novelty fabrics that come into my possession.  I guess that is always an option, but the thought of working on this doesn't excite me right now.

Maybe my flannel buzz saw blocks?  Flannel would be so soft and cozy for a baby!  But where ARE my flannel buzz saw blocks? Uh oh, UFO missing!!  It's probably for the best - I doubt I want to work with flannel during these warmer months, anyway.  Hopefully it will turn up before fall...

But look what I DID find!  I'd already started quilting this one, so I'm making an Executive Decision and declaring this a baby quilt!  It has just been bumped up to the top of my hand quilting list.

Any thoughts or comments?  I'd love to know how you approach making baby quilts.

12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A standard crib mattress is 27.5" x 53". I like to make baby quilts 40" x 50". Any of those will work - there are no rules. I like to use flannel just for backing - so the quilt can breath (minky is nice too).

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

All of them would make great baby quilts.

Shay said...

Of course the blue quilt works as a baby quilt- its perfect! 40 x 60 is a great size for that I think.

And the scrappy log cabin would work beautifully as a baby quilt too – all that glorious colour and a vintage vibe. Sure to become a much treasured heirloom!

In fact , I love all of your proposed baby quilt choices. I usually use a lot of colour for baby quilts and just make whatever takes my fancy as Im pulling fabrics from my stash.

Julie Fukuda said...

I agree all of those would make great baby quilts. I like the "I Spy" in some form or other as it becomes more than just a colorful bed cover.
The first baby quilt I made for a grandson was 51 x 63 inches and too small for a single bed. The one I made for his brother was 55 x 59 and I am working on its replacement now. The following six for other grands were all bigger but somewhat babyish for a teen, even though they fit on a single bed.
For church friends I tend to go for crib-sized. They can be used as a cover, even on a kid napping anywhere.

Amanda said...

I agree with the other comments...I usually try for the 45"-50" range, but a 40x60 would be nice for a crib too. While not in every quilt I make, I think about value a lot...babies can't see much, but they can see high contrast. Lastly I usually use minky or flannel on the back and sateen to bind...texture can be fun!

But none of these really define a baby quilt...well, maybe just the size. I think anything else can go!

Anonymous said...

All of your ideas are lovely! I especially love to scrappy log cabin. When I have made quilts for children, I tend to back them in flannel because they are so warm and snuggly in the winter.

Cheryl Willis said...

for me there are no rules as to size, color or pattern. If I make it and gift it as a baby quilt--It Is a for the Baby quilt. Never once had a baby complain about a gift--lol

Anonymous said...

Love Cheryl's attitude and fully agree.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love making baby quilts because anything goes! All of the quilts in your post would be great for a baby quilt. I just know I could make dozens of baby quilts from my stash and not even make a dent in the piles of fabric... Happy sewing to you!

Gail

Anonymous said...

What did you choose? It was great to have you back briefly, so if you find any time to reappear again, many love reading about your adventures! x JJ

Char said...

Hi Erin!
Since I love log cabins I think those blocks would make an excellent baby quilt. I also really love the Summer Breeze blocks although that would mean lots of work!

Livin' Blue Quilter said...

I love making baby quilts. In the last year I have made three. I used the French braid pattern and pinwheels. Pinwheels make super fun, fast and easy quilts. I have pictures on my blog, livinbluequilter.blogspot.com. Enjoy!