Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Giving it all away

I've found a little bit of time to sew lately, mostly making samples for classes at the shop.  The nice thing about those is that once the class I am advertising is over, I am free to give those samples away.

A friend who has been going through a tough time was the recipient of a Dresden Plate pillow
Instead of buying pillow forms (expensive!), I buy jumbo pillows from Walmart for less than $5, cut them in half, and sew them back together as two rectangular pillow forms.
I love an envelope back pillow so you can wash the cover.
and I am donating this little doll-sized quilt (or wallhanging) to a fundraiser at a local middle school.
I wanted to add the same motif from the outside strips to the inside strips, but my stencil was too big and I'm not talented enough to redraft at a different size.
Here's a close-up of the hand quilting, big stitch style with variegated crochet cotton.  I also machine stitched in the ditch along each of the vertical rows.
I have a rag quilt workshop coming up soon, and need to make a class sample.  I wonder who will be the recipient of THAT class sample?  Maybe I'll actually keep something for myself.

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great idea on the pillow - storing that one away.

sophie said...

I agree. What a brilliant idea to think of making pillow forms from inexpensive bed pillows! It sounds like you found some lovely uses for your old class samples, too.

Shay said...

I've done the cheaty pillow form trick before- absolutely brilliant and I think better quality than the poly inserts.

Love your projects. And nice to see you being creative!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Excellent hand quilting.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love the varigated thread in the hand quilting.

Maureen in Portland said...

Great work -- I so wish I was close enough to come to your shop! I do love the pillow trick and will remember it. Happy March, already ....