Friday, May 17, 2013

Wrapping things up

The theme for my life these days is tying up loose ends, finishing things, wrapping things up.

I finished piecing rainbow baby quilt #2.  It is much bigger than the other rainbow baby quilt - the same width but longer.  That's OK, right?

I finally finished my pink toothbrush rug.  I didn't measure it - I just kept going until I ran out of the solid pink.  Both my kids want it in their rooms, but I have a feeling I'll be keeping it for myself, selfish mommy that I am!


The afterschool program ended on Wednesday.  4 of my 7 students were able to finish their patchwork pillows on time - I'll finish up the others at home and send them in to school for them next week.

I've met with the landlady of the space in town where I want to open my shop.  We've come to agreement on lease terms.  I'm finalizing my business plan, and now I just need to sign on the dotted line and DO IT.  I think I'm gonna do it.  I'm 99% sure.  I'm so excited!  Going into business for myself, and doing something I love!  Send lots of successful wishes my way.  In case you missed my blog post about this earlier this year, here are some excerpts from my Business Plan to give you an idea - my Statement of Purpose and my Business Philosophy:

Statement of Purpose
The Stitchin’ Post is a creative space for fiber artists to sell their products, teach their craft, share their resources and engage with a supportive and collaborative community of other fiber artists.
Business Philosophy
The Stitchin’ Post strives to empower local fiber artists to create a revenue source for themselves by introducing their talents to a wider audience.  The Stitchin’ Post values creativity, collaboration and integrity, and seeks to create a welcoming, inclusive community that celebrates these values. 



Adam has started the long process of wrapping up his mom's estate.  A most unenviable task.

I'm on my next to last business trip for my current job.  It is about time to start the countdown - 37 days left until I no longer work at my current job.  Lots of wrapping up to do there before I leave.

But for now - I'm enjoying San Francisco with my sister before tonight's meeting and tomorrow's conference.  We went for a run this morning - I hate running, but my clothes are getting tight and I don't believe in dieting so it seems a necessary evil.  It is so much less onerous with someone else, and I ran much farther and faster than I would have on my own.  Now, it is time to explore!

12 comments:

Loris said...

Love the toothbrush rug and the students pillows. The baby's chevron will be well loved!
Best wishes for your new business dreams!

Char said...

Lots of things changing for you right now, I'm wishing you the best. What could be better than living your dream.

Caz said...

To solve any argument with your boys', about the toothbrush rug,, just send it to me!! Love the little cushions,,, and hope all goes well with your Stitchin' Post.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited about this new endeavor! I just wish it was closer to me (here in the Midwest!). Lately, I am in to all things chevron! It is such a 'clean' design and lends itself to so many directions. Yours is lovely!! Enjoy 'Frisco! Hugs, Doreen

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The only 'baby quilt' I have from when I was little, covered the top of a twin bed. I still have that quilt, 50 years later. Size charts are just guidelines. Sure wish I was there and could help you with your new endeavor. It sounds like sew much fun! Best wishes with it.

Becky said...

How exciting!! Having a dream becoming a reality! You'll do
wonderfully!

Shay said...

I'd be keeping that rug all to myself too! Its beautiful.

And I love that baby quilt . reminds me very much of one I made a couple of years ago and gave to a friend. There's something just so pretty and fun about zig zags.

Im completely confident you can make a go of anything you set your mind to.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am totally in love with your toothbrush rug! I am making a scrappy rug and your photos reminded me how much I enjoy rugmaking and must get it finished!

jirons42 said...

Last September, this woman in my town opened something similar to what you are about to do. Thought you might be interested.

inspirationsofartstudio.com

Michelle said...

Love the toothbrush rug! Adorable!!

Best of luck with your new business adventure! It will be a huge success I'm sure!

Nancy said...

I thought I left a comment several days ago, but it apparently did not go thru.

I am so sorry to hear about Adam's mom's passing. I saw the beautiful picture of her and the boys on FB but didn't realize that was why you were posting it. Dealing with the details of an estate can be challenging. Hopefully he will come thru it without ruffling any feathers.

You should definitely keep the pink rug - after all, it is PINK! You could teach them how to make their own.

Sounds like the after-school classes went well. So nice of you to finish up the stragglers, but that is just you!

Hope you had a fun visit in SF. I'm surprised they let you go since you are leaving, but that's ok!

As for your business plan - you have certainly put a lot of thought into it. I hope it comes off just as you want. Where is it going to be located? I'm sure we'll be back in Lex sometime - I'll definitely want to come by for a visit!

Have you noticed that I have re-started my blog - not posting every day -- more like every week or so - but I am doing it.

Hope your last few weeks go by quickly and painlessly!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your scrappy pillows!
I hate running too...so I don't~ LOL I walk but nothing pushing it. I am starting to finally lose some...just protein and low carb is all that is working~ Have a great weekend! ♥♥♥