Monday, November 12, 2012

Play date!

I went to my quilt guild meeting on Saturday, hat in hand.  I told them about the Hurricane Relief Quilts project, and showed the quilt top I've completed and all the quilt blocks that have arrived that I haven't had time to assemble yet.  Before I could even ask if anyone wanted to help out, they had taken all my baggies of 42 blocks (one quilt's worth of blocks) to assemble for me, and I've got a waiting list of others who want to help.  One person is going to quilt a couple of tops for me.  Two people volunteered to do bindings.  They were wonderful!

Then, when I got home, I had a whole new batch of blocks waiting for me.  I forgot to take a photo of them because I had a friend come over that evening, and we had a Play Date, sewing up your blocks into a top while we talked and laughed and our 5 boys (all between 4 and 10) made more noise than I thought humanly possible.  It was loud and raucous and chaotic and magically FUN!!!

She sewed,

while I cut and pressed.
I don't usually wear my hats backwards - we were getting a little goofy there towards the end!

And we created this!
Do you see your blocks in there?
Here are the two tops I've helped assemble together.  They are being shipped off to wonderful volunteer quilters tomorrow.

Plus I am 1/3 of the way through with another top.  Too bad there's no mail today - I'm ready for more blocks!

Look what my friend Nancy is doing - making a whole quilt by placing her blocks around a center 50" square UFO that she had laying around.  Isn't it bright and happy and beautiful?

The back
Today was also my first day teaching the READY TO QUILT program in the afterschool program.  FUN TIMES!  But I'm going to have to get a helper, especially for the first hour when I have 23 third, fourth and fifth graders!  I thought the tough group would be the 10 Kindergarten through 2nd graders - wrong!

We read The Quiltmaker's Gift while the students disassembled some jeans that I will cut up for our donation quilt.  They also each make a fabric bookmark from upcycled denim and a novelty fabric of their choice.  I introduced them to fusible (Heat N Bond), and then they each sewed around the edges of the bookmark and then trimmed the edges with pinking shears.  It was good for them to have something to take home as a finished product on day one.  And it was good for me to have no one cut by scissors, burned by the iron, or with a needle through a finger!  I have to ask if I am allowed to share photos of the students, so for now, I just have my two goofballs showing off their bookmarks.
They chose their focus fabic - the back is upcycled denim

OK, so the stitching isn't straight, and neither is the trimming, but I don't think the kids noticed or cared!
 It was gratifying that the kids didn't want to leave when their time was up.  I'm looking forward to working with them again on Wednesday.

19 comments:

Auntie Em said...

It's wonderful to see these quilts coming together!

janequiltsslowly said...

Yeah, I see a bunch of my blocks in there! I love your story about helping the kids learn to sew. Also I love the disappearing 4 patch block in brights. What a cool quilt!

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing my quilt photos. You didn't mention that most of the fabric in the center of my quilt was a donation - from you! I'm glad I have little bits of it left for something else. I am now tying it with various colors of perle cotton thread. Sounds like everyone had a fun time at your Ready to Quilt program. They'll keep you hopping! Great to hear that some of the guild stepped up to help out.

Barbara Arcement said...

I see some of my blocks. You are so sweet to get all this done. What a blessing these quilts will be for those who need them.
You are doing a great job and I thank you for allowing us all to be part of a great project.
hugs from Louisiana
beebee

The Cozy Quilter said...

They look great! My blocks should be there soon!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about this project. The blocks go in the mail tomorrow!! That is so much the perfect patterned block!! Happy, cheerful and full of wonderful quilty hugs of love!!!!! Blessings, Doreen

Michelle said...

We had SOOO much fun on our playdate:-) The boys keep asking when we're going back!

I'm so glad the Ready to quilt classes went well. Just wondering (J asked) if there are any boys signed up? He actually got his own sewing machine from the thrift & is after me to get it tuned up.

Everything looks beautiful, great photos:-)
~M

Debbie said...

The quilts look wonderful....scrappy and full of love. So glad you were able to find lots of help to make all this happen. You are doing a wonderful thing.
Love the bookmark idea for the kids...great job.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sew glad your class worked out well, and that you are excited about the next one (as are the kids). Bookmarks are a great idea. I'll get my blocks cut out later today. I was gone 22 out of 31 days, and nothing got done while I was away, so, I'm cleaning house and stuff, too. Woohoo to your guild, too!

Char said...

It's so wonderful that your guild members joined in, I never doubted they would. I sure wish I lived closer so I could join in the fun also.
I'm so glad it's going we'll with the children. They are the perfect ages because they're still eager to learn almost anything. Try that with a bunch of middle schoolers! Not fun!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I was so happy to see my quilt blocks made into a beautiful quilt top! What great work! So proud of you and all the quilters that responded!

Wacky Woman said...

Aren't quilters wonderful!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It is so fun to see these come together! Thank you and your quild/friends for helping, too.

Pottsville Free Public Library said...

The quilts are gorgeous! I really like the randomness, it brings out all the best qualities of a scrap quilt. If you need more blocks, just give a holler. :)

Loris said...

Wow! This a beautiful endeavor!

Raewyn said...

Fabulous Erin - great to see the tops coming together, they look good!! The kids programme sounds wonderful, too.

♥Duff said...

The love you show your family and others is always such an inspiration to others--love your posts! (even when I don't comment, I'm still reading!)

Nicki said...

Those quilts are coming along so nicely. You've had a lot of angel participation in this project & that warms my heart. I love the look of the D4Patches & know they will be loved by all who get one.

Thanks soooo much for what you are doing for the storm victims.

Those bookmarks that the boys made are WONDERFUL! I'm so impressed & thrilled that you are teaching young ones to sew.

Carla said...

Love how the quilts turned out. I like the book marks the boys made too