Monday, June 18, 2012

Sewing on the road

I left home on Friday morning, not to return until the beginning of July.  While I brought a quilt that needs hand quilting, I wasn't convinced I wanted to be away from my sewing machine for that long.

Solution:  I brought it with me! 

And since I couldn't bring my whole stash with me, I collected up all of my Goodwill pillowcase purchases (OMG!  How did I end up with 19 pillowcases?  Especially considering that I've already upcycled 16 of them into reuseable grocery bags and aprons?) as well as some of my 2" squares to play with.

17 of the 19 pillowcases I have amassed through my pillowcase purchase addiction.
I spent Friday and Saturday at Princeton University where I presented at a conference and was interviewed on camera for publication online - nervewracking!
 
On Saturday night, I drove up to my MILs in Easton, PA where my kids were waiting for me.  I surprised them with an all day trip to Dorney Park (an amusement park) on Sunday.  I conquered my fear of rollercoasters and had a ball!  I even went on the ones where you go upside down!

Today, I walked my niece's dog while the boys rode their bikes all over the neighborhood (we live on a dirt road that goes straight up a mountain, so riding on paved roads is a treat for them), then went to the movies to catch Madagascar 3.  Needless to say, my kids have not stopped chanting "Circus, Afro, Circus, Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot, Polka Dot, Afro!"  Heaven help me!

After the movie, I decided to channel my inner Em and brought my sewing machine outside onto the deck to sew.  Time to tackle those pillowcases! 
Sewing on the deck
Two down!  Someone in my family will be getting some reuseable, washable grocery totes. 

Why is it so hard to photograph stripes?  The one on the left is red, white and blue stripes.

I love the 5 I made for myself, and use them every time I go shopping, whether for groceries or anything else.  Maybe tomorrow I'll make aprons.

I love vacation!

8 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

My grands chant the same thing. Love your upcycling. They have banned plastic bags here in Long Beach. It's a good thing.

Char said...

Hey, it is a small world my nephew is in Easton he's an assistant coach at Lafayette. I need to try sewing outside sometime. Love the bags, I've made 2 that I keep in the car.
Enjoy your vacation.

Vic H. said...

Sewing outside looks wonderful! It doesn't get better than that...happy kids, projects, travel!! ;-)

Wilma Lee said...

I would love to find the patterns for up cycling the pillowcases into the bags and aprons. Can you point me in the right direction?

Shay said...

I'd never thought to sew outside but it looks like fun.

I dont think you have that many pillowcases. (See- Im helping you out by normalising your obsession )

bernie said...

Sewing outside does look fun - your pillowcase bags are great and a wonderful way to recycle. I am going to have to hit the Goodwill. My supply of reusable grocery bags has disappeared with my children and leftovers :) Bernie

ms. mindless said...

OMG, you crack me up! Who else would travel with a sewing machine? Hilarious!

Kim said...

Why not bring your machine....way to go! Have fun with it, Em would be so proud you are sewing on the deck :0)
I was born in Easton, PA :0)

Happy Sewing