Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Christmas in July

I'll admit it - I got caught up in the Christmas in July hype! First of all, I picked up a Cleo Coyle book, Holiday Grind, that our library just got in.


I've enjoyed the other 7 Coffeehouse Mysteries by this author, so I jumped right into this one. (It is no surprise that my coffee consumption skyrockets when I read these books!)

And then, to see Mrs. Quilting in my Pyjamas working up that Flurry pattern, which looked so quick and easy and cute, well, I couldn't help myself. I spent some time in my sewing room this weekend with my bag of Christmas fabrics. Although the Flurry pattern is awesome, it doesn't make up for UGLY Christmas fabrics!!! I have inherited most of my Christmas fabrics from others, and of course, I am grateful to have them, but they aren't the gorgeous fabrics you see out there today. I'm less than impressed with what I have so far, and in true Erin fashion, I have had to modify the pattern to fit my limited fabric supply.

Maybe once it is sewn together I will like it better. Maybe once it is quilted. Or (gulp) maybe, I will never like it.

At least my machine and iron and rotary cutter got a little workout.

On a more satisfied note, my husband and I got the over-the-range microwave installed last night - yippee! I've banished my little countertop microwave to the basement and reclaimed my counter!!! (It's the little things that make me so happy!)

9 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I really like your quilt :) I hope you end up liking it too.
Glad to hear that you have your counterspace back!

Julie Fukuda said...

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one with the Christmas fabrics out in July! It's called, "plan ahead". I like those pretty little packages and also the idea of more counter space. (My counter is a piece of plywood over the sink).

Becky said...

I think the presents are really cute!! I hope it grows on you. Hope you are back into the swing of things soon. Love ya!

Char said...

I like the quilt. I don't have much Christmas fabric either.
I know you're happy to have your counter back. I'm needing an over the range micro wave myself. Hope I do have to wait til my daughter graduates college!

birgit said...

hey, it looks really great! But I feel so far away from christmas...But to be honest, I´m planig a christmas-present-quilt and alreda washed the fabrics today ;-))

Shay said...

I felt exactly the same way when my microwave got built in under the bench when our horror kitchen reno got done. (Can you believe that was a year ago next week!) So it's not such a little thing.

Love your take on the Flurry quilt and look how much you've got done. I must confess I have an awful conglomeration of Christmas fabrics and had to search really hard to find matching ones.

You know that if you hate it after it's done you can always make it a Christmas dog blanket ... but I think it's pretty !

Michelle said...

I laughed because I had just pulled out some Christmas fabric to do a wallhanging for the camper!!

I'll have to look into that book series. I've been reading one about a woman who works in museums and solves mysteries.

Enjoy your week and weekend!

joe tulips said...

I am impressed with the gift boxes. They could even be a variety of sizes to fit fabric supply. And if you are really "feeling it" they could go wonky too. The pinwheels are so cute....they could be in the border some how.
Think of the fabrics as vintage...maybe that will help you like it a little more.

Riel Nason said...

It's funny Erin, I have noticed the "Christmas in July" hype more than ever this year. It seems the phrase is everywhere I turn! (My son has noticed it too and I had to explain it wasn't 'real' as in 'No, Santa isn't coming'. And yes, I have the Christmas fabric out too! I really like that pattern with the presents. And I understand about running out of fabric. I think that is one of my main design factors, working with the supply I have. I buy my fabric mostly at a liquidation place, all older out-of-print fabric, so if I run out, who knows if there will be more? Oh well, we are just living on the wild side. Right? lol