Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Zombie

I'm going to be a zombie in the morning. It is 2 AM and I am still awake, and curiously alert. I know it is because I leave for a 10-day trip in the morning and I don't really want to go. I guess if I put off going to bed, I put off leaving, right?

Of course, everyone else is in bed, so I've been sewing. First, I sewed together some border blocks for my scrappy star quilt, just because they are faster than the star blocks and I wanted immediate gratification.


Yup, I'm gratified. I'm going to love this quilt! Although, after seeing this photo, I may see if I prefer to have the rows with the light stars on a dark background next to the border.

Then I started playing with the un-usable scraps that I've trimmed off my GGG quilt, the ones I can't square up to 2" square. I just can't throw them away, so I thought I'd see what I could come up with by crumb piecing. My first idea was a house block with the GGG crumb pieces in the window and door.
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it was fun and easy to make. Perhaps I'll come up with some other ideas while traveling this next week. I did not end up kitting something to take with me, because everything was just too big. These additional fees to check a bag are very frustrating. I feel like I am not a good steward of my employer's money if I waste money on a checked bag fee. So, I'm packing super light. I hope I don't forget anything. Like my PASSPORT....OK, I'm back. It would have been a disaster if I had forgotten my passport.

Anyway, I should stop putzing around and go to bed. I'll do my best to post from the road. Get in some extra quilting for me, would ya?

5 comments:

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Your little house block is so cute. Seems to be a lot of the house blocks floating around lately. Have a safe trip.

Cheryl Willis said...

can't believe you are getting so far ahead of me! my P&C is still sitting in a pile. I am thinking I am way far behind in collecting light on lights for back grounds (I usually use a cream sheet for the backgrounds.) I just need a couple of days off to orgnize and sew!!

Nancy said...

Hope you have a happy birthday today - well, as much as possible while you are traveling. Do something super nice just for you!

That's a cute idea about using some of GGG in the houses if the pieces are large enough for that. Or some crumb pieced blocks, maybe with some fabrics around the GGG pieces that would make them stand out a bit so they wouldn't get lost in the rest. I'm sure when you put your mind to it you will come up with something very creative! Bon voyage!

Kim said...

Hey Erin, I keep looking at your new star quilt and seeing the Pick and Choose block with different orientation....can you see it?
It is going to be a great looking quilt!
Hope you can sleep on the plane, safe travels

Happy Sewing

Shirley said...

Lovely scrappy star quilt. It looks great just the way it is. I know when I have to go somewhere in the morning I have trouble sleeping cause I'm afraid I'll sleep in. Makes no sense I know.