Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The quilter's version of cramming!

I leave for a week's vacation this Thursday after work. I'll be traveling first to Yale to attend a program for work, and then on to Amherst, Massachusetts to stay with my twin sister and her family. With all the preparation that goes into taking a trip, that means not much sewing is going to be happening in the next few days. Before I leave, though, I need to make sleeves for my niece's and nephew's baby quilts - my sister wants to hang them on their walls now that they are older. I also need to finish hand quilting her quilt and at least attach the binding and sleeve so I can finish it while I am up there visiting her. I also need to help Jason finish his quilt so that he can enter it in the County Fair. I had hoped to have several finishes done to enter in the fair myself, but I may just have to put my sister's quilt in. I sure am good at starting things - it is the finishes I struggle with.

But perhaps I can tackle just a little project before I go. The kids destroyed a lamp shade in their room. I'm not mad, it is just an opportunity for me to try something I've been wanting to try - making a fabric lamp shade! How about something like this?

(photo from Moda Bake Shop)
It seems quick and easy, especially since I already have so many strips cut. Plus, I could use those tiny bias tapes for the top and bottom edges, right? Hmmm... If I can make the time before Thursday (notice I said make, not FIND), I just may have to give this a try.

While on vacation, my goal is to finish taking apart my grandmother's quilt. I'll bring along a rotary cutter, 6" ruler and my mini foldaway Omnigrid to see if I can get everything ready for sewing it back together when I return.

(do you have one of these? If so, don't you love it!?!)

7 comments:

Jay said...

My goodness, you are a busy lady. I would imagine your days are full. I can't seam (pun) to find time to butter my bread, much less do some quilting. Molly and I have quilted a lot together but it always seams(again) like I help someone else.. I love the lamp shade and hope you get to make one... I want a picture.

Piece by Piece said...

Hope you have a nice vacation at your sisters house. Love the lampshade. When you get it finished we want to see pics. Patricia

Becky said...

I think the lamp shade is adorable!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with! Enjoy your visit with your sister and safe travels.

Cheryl Willis said...

enjoy your vacation, I was supose to get a couple of days at the lake this weekend but hubby has to work. I may go with out him if I can get all my pieces sewn for the pick and choose- I wanted to trim them while sitting on the deck and sew the blocks together when I get back home. Thats my plan cw

Nancy said...

That lampshade is a cute idea - definitely a good idea to try. I guess you just whipped it up tonight??

Enjoyed our lunch today - we'll have to do it again.

Hope you all have a great week and that you get all your projects worked on!

My name is Riet said...

That will be a lovely lampshade. Have a great vacationweek. Riet

Lane said...

Hey, Erin. I LOVE that Jason is entering a quilt in the fair. I'm filled with apprehension about competing a quilt. Glad you're giving him that kind of encouragement early. I think that when your lamp is on, you're going to see all your seam allowances, so you might think about putting on a heavy underlayer so the light can't shine through the shade, but only out of the top and bottom. It's a very cute idea, tho. Take care and enjoy prepping for your trip. You go to such interesting places. I go to Cleveland...yuck! Lane