Monday, March 16, 2020

Revisiting Mill Girls

My family has cabin fever, but I swear, I was made for social distancing!  As long as the food doesn't run out, I could stay home and read and sew and knit indefinitely!  It's scary out there with so many people getting sick; I am happy to keep my own company for a while, and creating keeps my mind off worrying about the future.

Actually, this time has me revisiting lots of UFOs from my past.  One of my favorites is Mill Girls, which I started in February 2016.  When I realized I was out of background material, I kinda stalled out.  Today, I pulled it out and realized I had enough for two more blocks using the background material from the original blocks so I sewed them up.


I now have 9 blocks, enough to make a baby quilt, if I want.

But honestly, I love this pattern so much, I want something bigger that I can use!  I have these other WOW fabrics - are they similar enough to mix them up in there and make more blocks?

I don't know.  Maybe it works since it is a scrap quilt, but maybe I should keep the background constant since there are so many different scraps in there.  What would you do?

I'm linking up with Oh, Scrap and Monday Making.

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

If you can find more fabrics as the original background, then go with that. If not, I'd just go with a different background fabric. The blocks are lovely!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

oh oh oh - I really like this block!! Keep going so I can see how you are going to finish it - ha ha!! I am with you - an introvert and I work at home - so I feel for others - but me... born for this!

mpv61 said...

I used that fabric for a couple of quilts, so I went to see what I had left...almost nothing. Sorry! I guess if I couldn't find more of it (and I know it's a few years old), I'd find a good match and make enough blocks with the other fabric that I could alternate them or put them in a pattern. Good luck!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Keep making those blocks. As long as the fabrics are similar, it will work. I wish I could stay home and stitch. I still have to go to work.

Julie Fukuda said...

I think with those colorful scrappy pieces, the background won't matter as long as it is that close. A baby would soon outgrow a quilt that size and wish it was bigger.

Teresa said...

Your blocks are all pretty so just keep on keep on keeping on with whatever you are doing. Im with ya on getting in the mode for staying in and creating. It takes the sadness of the world and leaves it at the doorstep. Sometimes, its kind of nice for that to happen.